Nowadays SE “DMA” is one of the prominent higher educational institutions of Ukraine with unique integrated continuous training of specialists at three levels: premedical, undergraduate and postgraduate studies.
|Lyceum of SE “DMA”
Preparatory department (for foreign students)
Special classes of schools in Dnipropetrovsk, Kryvyi Rih
|Undergraduate studies in 7 specialties:
8.110101 General medicine
8.110105 Medical preventive care
8.110106 Stomatology (dentistry)
7.110.206 Clinical pharmacy
|Internship in 29 specialties
Master degree courses in 29 specialties
Postgraduate (Ph.D.) courses in 37 specialties
Doctorate in 4 specialties
Clinical residency in 32 specialties
Specialization in 26 fields
Academy has 7 faculties (first, second and third medical, stomatological, first and second international and postgraduate education faculties), where more than 4500 students and up to 1500 foreign citizens from 48 countries study.
697 teachers (among them 115 science doctors and 375 philosophy doctors, 1 academician and 3 corresponding members of National Academy of Medical Sciences of Ukraine, 1 corresponding member of National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine) help to master extremely difficult, responsible but infinitely grateful specialty at 7 faculties of medical academy (three faculties of general medicine, dentistry, two international and post-graduate studies faculties).
41 clinical departments were founded on the basis of 58 medical institutions. Generally, 29 specialized centers were created in the clinical bases of the Academy.
Academy occupies 85 hectares area. It has 8 educational buildings with a total area of 52000 sq. meters, which includes 608 lecture rooms, classes, and laboratories. Over 2849 students and doctors reside in 7 hostels with a total area of 46000 sq. meters. Academy has its own sports complex, sports camp, vivarium, scientific library, technological center, and two museums.
Postgraduate training is carried out at the postgraduate education faculty by prominent scientists, high category doctors, that include 19 professors and 58 associate professors.
The post-graduate studies are carried out in three directions:
- primary specialization of doctors-interns – internship;
- advanced training and retraining;
- professional training of specialists – clinical resydency.
For adult people, Academy offers “Golden Age University” (GAU) – socially oriented establishment that provides health care training for geriatric patients with special needs, social mobilization recommendations.
GAU activity is guided by the current legislation, Academy Statute. Geriatric patients’ training is free of charge on the basis of SE “DMA” corporate sponsorship and an adult people voluntary consent. The modest budget of GAU is supported due to the local authorities, scientists, specialists, social, charitable and public establishments.
GAU staff is hooked up with the trade unions, medical institutions, high educational establishments of the city, social and public organizations, having hands-on experience of medical care for geriatric patients.
Student scientific society of SE “DMA” covers more than 60 students’ societies with 1300 members. Students’ societies constantly provide new forms of education in this study groups, such as the computer system for scientific research management of the student’s activity. As a result, annually up to 500 student reports are held at the conferences. Students from all departments of Academy are able to become participants of the academic, national and international conferences, to carry out scientific research and take invention activities.
Due to the support of SE “DMA” Dnipropetrovsk Charitable Foundation was created in 1994. Foundation is focused on the talented youth development and its purposes and tasks are:
- increasing of intellectual potential of medical sciences;
- improvement of scientific culture;
- carrying out new methodologies in the field of fundamental science and medical practice.
- management of the system focused on talented youth search and selection;
- searching, improvement, and support of innovative ideas;
- implementation of students and young scientists innovations;
- providing all kinds of material, the moral and scientific award for talented youth.
At students’ and academic staff disposal there are:
- preventive care clinic for 100 persons;
- sports complex with game room, fencing, fitness room, table tennis, wrestling, swimming pool, a shooting gallery, a sports stadium with tennis court, sports and recreation outskirts’ camp for 250 persons;
- the complex of student canteens, cafes, buffets;
- national history museum of SE “DMA”;
- fundamental museum of anatomy, etc.
The recent news from Academy activity, information about the achievements of scientists and other breaking news students and teachers can find in the local academy newspaper “Pulse” that is a tool for communication between academic staff and students.
The scientific activity of Academy is provided with modern methodological and technical bases. The current scientific activity involves 61 research projects. Priority directions are the following:
- development of new diagnostics technologies in order to prevent the progression of arterial hypertension;
- prenatal HIV-infection: evaluation efficiency and optimization modern pharmacological means of prevention, treatment, rehabilitation and prophylaxis of HIV/AIDS;
- improvement of new methods of treatment and prevention the bladder and prostate cancer; modern methods of diagnostics and treatment of cerebrovascular pathology;
- creation of national technologies for the treatment of orthopedic diseases and musculoskeletal system traumas.
Academy scientists are active participants of international congresses, symposiums. For the last 5 years, 15 doctors and 167 candidates’ degree dissertations were defended by our scientists. The effectiveness of the postgraduate study is 100%. 265 patients were received for inventions. Generally, 6507 articles were published, among them 516 in foreign journals. Academy has 3 academic journals – “Medical perspectives”, “Urology”, “Dermatovenerology, cosmetology, sexual pathology”.
Scientific research is provided with:
- library with foreign literature department, electronic catalog, computer software, information on specialized medical periodical publications. General Fund of the library covers over 600 000 volumes, which is annually replenished. The library completely provides students with educational literature.
- patent administration department;
- Department of information with numerous periodic and refereed scientific literature;
- standardization and metrology service;
- central scientific laboratory with modern equipment and well-qualified specialists;
- interdepartmental morphological, immunological and biochemical laboratories.
Since 1990 SE “DMA” carries out foreign students’ education. In 1995 the first 14 doctors – residents of other countries graduated from Academy. Generally, over 1000 foreign specialists from 45 countries of the world have been prepared in DMA.
Academy also offers advanced courses for foreign students from India, Japan, Denmark, France, USA, Holland, China, Spain, focused on the improvement of knowledge and skills at specified methods or areas in the majoring specialty.
Financing of Academy consists of two sources: budget and non-budget. Non-budget sources of financing are the following:
- teaching of the foreign and national students in Academy according to contracts;
- educational, scientific & industrial complex;
- scientific research ordered by enterprises;
- voluntary contribution.
Significant expansion of economic activity forms allows the Academy to strengthen the financial base and provide social and humanitarian programs.